Thursday, September 18, 2003

Namaste

Well, we made it to Nepal alright. A little lighter in the wallet after being relieved of my traveller's cheques in Bangkok, but that's the beauty of American Express. Don't leave home without it.

First off, Jamie, I owe you several pints at Elwoods when we get back. Lhakpa (your Sherpa friend) has been unbelieveably helpful. Don't know what we would have done without her. She picked us up at the airport after our slightly bumping ride into Kathmandu (no mountain views unfortuantely). Getting through immigration was a not so quick introduction to the beauties of rampant bureaucracy. Jumped between so many lines, my head was spinning. Once we finally got through, it was great to see my name of a piece of paper on the other side of the road.

It actually wasn't Lhakpa who picked us up, since she doesn't have the appropriate pass to get into the airport area. Military is a bit tight around here right now. We met her at the bottom of the hill. I was surprised to find out that she's a she and she was surprised to find that I'm a he. At least we're even.

From here we headed into Kathmandu. I cannot begin to describe the madness that we saw. Narrow roads, filled solid with cars, vans, bikes, motorbikes, people, and the odd cow. Streets too narrow for one car and they're packing with cars going either direction. Each one trying to push through with the sheer sound of their horns. And these narrow roads go up and down, back and forth, resembling a hiking train more than a road. Completely random. And all along there are people. TONS of people. People dressed in everything from rags, to traditional Hindu garb, to very western clothes. All walking or sitting or trying to share the road with us. Just crazy.

There really is no analog in the western world. Imagine the Sun Run on Georgia street, but in the middle of rush hour traffic. On Halloween. Just after an earthquake has reduced the surrounding buildings to near rubble and narrowed the street to one lane. That's as close as I can get, but it's still not it. Something quite distinct to the Indian subcontinent I imagine.

Once we finally got to our hotel, we checked in then went to get our plane tickets for Lukla. Another adventure. After that, we grabbed dinner (dal batt) and headed back to the guesthouse. Had to be in by 9 p.m. since a curfew has been imposed from 9 til 4. Also found that today was the first day of a general strike, so nothing's open. Again, Lhakpa saved us, since she was able to come help us find sleeping bags and such that we need for our trekk. Spent the rest of the day touring around Durbar Square with a guy we met at the guesthouse.

So, we're all set for our trek now. Fly out to Lukla tomorrow for 21 days in the Khumu (Everest region). Can't wait to get going up there, but not sure if I'll be able to carry my back pack. I knew I should have run more before I left (and drank less in Japan). Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get Aiden to carry my stuff .... :-)

OK, I'd better go. Time's running out on my access here. This internet access is actually just as good as Japan. The world is shrinking ...

Take care of yourselves,

Justin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home