Monday, November 07, 2005

Fear and Loathing in Moshi

What the hell was I thinking? This must have made some sort of sense when I planned it, but right now, I can't begin to fathom how. Just look at the numbers. In 2 days, I've flown for 18 hours, covered 15000 km, crossed 11 time zones, and touched ground in 4 countries on 3 continents. And now within 4 days, I plan to be 5900m above sea level, where there's 50% as much oxygen as in Vancouver, on the roof of Africa.

The reality of my predicament hit home as we were approaching the airport in Tanzania this morning. As far as the eye could see was nothing but snow white cloud and briliant blue sky. Then the pilot banked left and there it stood, the impossibly massive form of Kilimanjaro. It's no wonder that the first Europeans were ridiculed when they reported seeing an immense snowcovered peak in equitorial Africa. It left me shaking my head and questioning my own eyes. As well as my sanity.

So with more than a pinch of trepidation, I'll be heading off to make my attempt at climbing this mountain. It's not as if it's never been done before, but it's absolutely going to be a challenge. Modest doubt is the beacon of the wise. But not feeling so modest right now.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be heading for the peak around 1 pm Vancouver time on Nov. 11, hopefully making the summit 5 or 6 hours later. Please send me all the energy, prayer, or karma you can spare. I'm gonna need it.

2 Comments:

Blogger iTripped said...

Hey Justin, good luck with that. Sounds....um, fun. Be sure to take a few pictures while you are there.

DK

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, is this gonna be like your "HORRIBLE DRUG RUNNING ADVENTURE WITH DORIAN TO PRINCE RUPERT AND WE HAVE TWO KIDS NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT EACH KILLED 4 MOUNTIES DRIVING UP AND DOWN THE SMITHER'S STRIP IN OUR PIMPED OUT AL CAMINO OPIUM ADDICTION BODIES UNDER DORIANS HOUSE THATS WHY HE BOUGHT IT TO BURY THEM STICKER COLLECTING FUN TIME ADVENTURE TYPE STORY"?

Cause that was wicked.

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home